Rapids down nine-man DallasMay 7, 2012 - 1:00 AM Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - FC Dallas didn't stand much of a chance after going down to nine men inside the first 40 minutes, and the Colorado Rapids eventually broke them down to win 2-0 at FC Dallas Stadium on Sunday.
A relatively quiet match came to life in the 34th minute as Daniel Hernandez received his yellow card for Dallas, while Blas Perez got his marching orders just two minutes later for a high tackle on Drew Moor, leaving the Hoops with nine men over the final 50 minutes.
It is the second time this season that Hernandez has been sent off, while the challenge from Perez was clumsy but maybe not worthy of a straight red card.
Dallas held out until the 61st minute when Jaime Castrillon finally broke the deadlock after he got on the other end of a chipped pass from Brian Mullan near the six-yard box and redirected the ball past goalkeeper Kevin Hartman with his head.
Hartman made a nice save on Kamani Hill at close range to keep Dallas within a goal, but he could do nothing to stop Martin Rivero's shot from near the penalty spot with 15 minutes to play as Mullan once again played provider with some good work on the right wing.
Hill threatened to add to the lead when he struck the crossbar in the 81st, but the Rapids had already done enough against the shorthanded Hoops to secure a second win in six games.
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5