Montreal earns point against Beckham, L.A.May 12, 2012 - 10:35 PM Montreal, QC (Sports Network) - David Beckham delivered a patented free kick goal for 60,860 fans at Olympic Stadium, but the Los Angeles Galaxy played to 1-1 tie Saturday against the expansion Montreal Impact in Major League Soccer.
Davy Arnaud scored just eight minutes into the match for Montreal, and Beckham curled a free kick into the top-right corner in the 62nd minute, as the Galaxy avoided a third loss during a four-game winless streak.
Montreal (3-5-3) extended its undefeated streak to four matches as it remained one point ahead of defending MLS Cup winner L.A. (3-5-2) in the overall table.
The Impact, who play matches at both Saputo Stadium and Olympic Stadium, broke their own attendance record set in March, when 58,912 fans attended their home opener.
Montreal got off to a great start when center back Nelson Rivas lifted a long pass down the middle of the field, and Arnaud ran onto the ball and directed a first-time shot to the lower right past a charging L.A. goalie Brian Perk.
The game remained relatively quiet until early in the second half when Beckham pulled L.A. out of the early hole with his second goal of the year. Off a free kick from the right, Beckham curled the ball around the wall and past a diving Donovan Ricketts, a former L.A. goalie who is now the Impact's starter.
Arnaud had a chance late in normal time for Montreal, and Robbie Keane forced Ricketts to make a save in stoppage time, but the game stayed tied after five minutes of extra time as the teams each grabbed a point.
Montreal will try to continue its run against Red Bull New York on May 19, and L.A. will try to stop its skid against Chivas USA on May 19.
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Montreal ends Orlando's unbeaten run Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Confident Orlando tangles with Montreal Jun 19