RSL tops Seattle to extend lead in the WestMay 13, 2012 - 4:10 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Real Salt Lake cemented its place atop the Western Conference for another week as its 1-0 defeat of Seattle Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field on Saturday saw the club improve to an MLS-best 26 points on the season.
The Claret and Cobalt entered the weekend in the top spot, a position that they will retain after Fabian Espindola's 51st-minute strike extended their unbeaten run to five games.
Real Salt Lake (8-3-2) goes four points ahead of the second-place San Jose Earthquakes - the 'Quakes have three games in hand, one of which will be played Sunday against Chivas USA. Seattle (7-2-1) suffers just its second lost of the season, a defeat that snaps its five-game winning streak and six-game unbeaten run.
The Sounders had the better running of the opening period on Saturday, but it was all for naught as they failed to stick one past Nick Rimando.
Their inefficiency in front of goal came back to haunt them as Real Salt Lake grabbed the lead early in the second half. Luis Gil chipped a through ball over the Seattle defense and Espindola powered a sneaky effort off the bounce and into the back of the net, catching Sounders goalkeeper Bryan Meredith off guard.
Salt Lake never looked back as a stout defensive performance in a tough road environment guided the club to all three points.
Seattle heads into an important Cascadia Cup match at Vancouver Whitecaps FC next Saturday, while Real Salt Lake will enjoy a week off before returning to action against FC Dallas at Rio Tinto Stadium on May 26.
- REAL SALT LAKE: 1
May 12 11:57 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Espindola 4 (Gil), 51st minute
Real Salt Lake 1, Sounders FC 0 2nd - 52'May 12 11:15 PM
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 12 10:06 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19