Perkins rescues Portland with a point vs. HoustonMay 16, 2012 - 3:14 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Troy Perkins was in fine form all night as he helped the Portland Timbers sustain some late pressure to a earn a point in the club's 0-0 draw with the Houston Dynamo on Tuesday.
Houston had twice as many attempts on goal as the visitors, but Perkins stood tall in making seven saves over the course of the match to keep consecutive clean sheets with Portland's second scoreless draw in a row.
The Timbers (2-5-3) have conceded just two goals over the past four games, but their dreadful offensive output - they have failed to produce a goal in their last three outings - has left the club with just two points from their last three games. Portland's last goal scored came as a result of an own goal against Sporting Kansas City on April 21. The club will look to regain some potency in front of net Sunday when it hosts the Chicago Fire.
The Dynamo (3-3-3) failed to build on their 1-0 defeat of D.C. United in the opening of BBVA Compass Stadium last Saturday as they settle for a point in the second act at their new soccer specific stadium. Houston will hit the road to take on the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Saturday.
A tame opening period at BBVA Compass Stadium on Tuesday gave way to a strong offensive display from the home side as Luiz Camargo and Calen Carr had golden opportunities to put the Dynamo in front.
Camargo came closest in the 67th minute when Carr threaded a through ball into the path of the Brazilian, but his shot was denied by a brilliant save from Perkins.
Carr then found himself through on goal three minutes from time thanks to a well-weighted pass from Camargo, but his effort was again turned away by Perkins, ensuring a point for the Timbers.
- PORTLAND: 0
May 15 10:30 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 15 8:38 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Timbers return home to tussle with Revs Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4