Montero strikes late to help Seattle draw VancouverMay 19, 2012 - 11:14 PM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Vancouver Whitecaps FC looked well on its way to taking three points in the first Cascadia Cup match of 2012, but Fredy Montero struck in the 90th minute to help Seattle Sounders FC earn a share of the points in a 2-2 draw on Saturday.
Alain Rochat provided the lone goal of the opening period to give the home side the lead, but Eddie Johnson struck early in the second half to level the score for the Sounders. Camilo Sanvezzo turned in a free kick from distance in the 82nd minute to restore Vancouver's advantage, but Montero answered shortly after with his fourth goal of the season to see the two sides split the points.
Both sides were coming off of losses, but Saturday's draw ensures that they remain separated by five points. Seattle (7-2-2) sits third in the Western Conference on 23 points, followed closely by Vancouver (5-3-3) on 18 points.
The home side went in front in the 12th minute when Rochat capped a brilliant solo effort with a low shot to Bryan Meredith's far post.
The 'Caps carried that lead into halftime, but the visitors were able to draw level less than 90 seconds into the second period when Mauro Rosales drove a perfect cross into the box for Johnson to nod home the equalizer.
Seattle nearly grabbed a go-ahead goal in the 57th minute when Montero uncorked a shot from distance, but Joe Cannon kept Vancouver on equal terms with a sprawling save to deny the Colombian.
Sanvezzo thought he had netted the game-winner for Vancouver eight minutes from time when his perfect free-kick delivery eluded the attacking Whitecaps players and snuck past Meredith at the back post, but Montero concluded a dramatic finish at BC Place when he collected Johnson's flick and curled a late equalizer just inside the post.
Seattle returns to action against the Columbus Crew at home on Wednesday while Vancouver will face the Portland Timbers next Saturday in another installment of the Cascadia Cup.
- SEATTLE: 2
VANCOUVER FC: 2
May 19 7:00 PM
- Seattle Goal - Montero 4 (Johnson), 90th minute
Sounders FC 2, Whitecaps FC 2 2nd - 89'May 19 6:57 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Sanvezzo 3 (unassisted), 82nd minute
Sounders FC 1, Whitecaps FC 2 2nd - 83'May 19 6:50 PM
- Seattle Goal - Johnson 3 (Rosales), 47th minute
Sounders FC 1, Whitecaps FC 1 2nd - 48'May 19 6:14 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Rochat 1 (unassisted), 12th minute
Sounders FC 0, Whitecaps FC 1 1st - 13'May 19 5:21 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 5'
May 19 5:13 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12