De Rosario's brace leads United over Toronto FCMay 20, 2012 - 1:34 AM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - Dwayne De Rosario scored two first-half goals as D.C. United downed Toronto FC, 3-1, on Saturday night in Major League Soccer at RFK Stadium.
De Rosario scored just 57 seconds into the match against his former squad, and notched a second goal two minutes before halftime to send United on its way to its fifth home win this season.
United (7-4-3) dropped its home opener to Sporting Kansas City, but has strung together a seven-match undefeated streak in the District of Columbia with five wins and two draws.
Toronto FC (0-9-0) extended its own league record for losses to begin a season to nine games, and moved closer to the overall record of 12 straight defeats.
De Rosario, who played for TFC from 2009 until early last season, scored under a minute into the match when he reached a Branko Boskovic free kick and headed into the bottom-left corner.
United doubled its lead before half when Josh Wolff sent the ball to the right to Chris Korb, who squared a pass back into the middle for De Rosario to drive the ball into the net from seven yards for his fifth goal this season.
Danny Koevermans pulled Toronto within a goal in the 71st minute, but D.C. was back in front by two goals just two minutes later when Andy Najar set up Hamdi Salihi, who scored his fourth goal in his last five games to seal the win.
D.C. wraps up a three-game homestand May 26 against the New England Revolution and Toronto will try to end its slide May 26 against the Philadelphia Union.
- TORONTO FC: 1
D.C. UNITED: 3
May 19 9:31 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Salihi 4 (Najar), 73rd minute
Toronto FC 1, D.C. United 3 2nd - 75'May 19 9:12 PM
- Toronto FC Goal - Koevermans 2 (De Guzman) 71st minute
Toronto FC 1, D.C. United 2 2nd - 72'May 19 9:10 PM
- D.C. United Goal - De Rosario 5 (Korb, Wolff), 43rd minute
Toronto FC 0, D.C. United 2 1st - 45'May 19 8:23 PM
- TORONTO FC: 0
D.C. UNITED: 1
1st Half - 3'
Toronto FC 0, D.C. United 1 1st - 3'May 19 7:40 PM
- TORONTO FC: 0
D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 19 7:39 PM
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12
- TFC's Giovinco claims second straight Player of the Week honor Jun 9