Gomez gives Union share of points at DallasMay 20, 2012 - 2:49 AM Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - Gabriel Gomez scored his team-high fourth goal of the season as the Philadelphia Union tied FC Dallas, 1-1, on Saturday night at FC Dallas Stadium in Major League Soccer.
Blas Perez scored early for FC Dallas, but Gomez equalized early in the second half as both sides snapped three-game losing streaks but remained winless over their last four and seven games, respectively.
Philadelphia (2-6-2) last won April 21 against Chivas USA, and Dallas (3-6-4) last won April 14 against the Montreal Impact.
Dallas took the lead inside 10 minutes when a corner kick from the right side was flicked into the center of the penalty area by George John, and Perez beat Union goalie Chase Harrison to the ball to convert a header at the left post.
Harrison, making his first MLS start, slammed his head into the post trying to make the save but was able to continue. FC Dallas was not as lucky late in the half when Hernan Pertuz was taken off on a stretcher and could not return.
Philadelphia, which did not have a shot on goal in the first half, livened up after the break and tied the match in the 56th minute. Gomez sneaked into the area to reach a poor back pass from Carlos Rodriguez, who replaced Pertuz, and headed into the bottom-left corner.
Carlos Valdes headed off the crossbar just three minutes later off a pass from Michael Farfan as the Union nearly added the go-ahead goal inside the hour but the match slowed and reached stoppage time still knotted at 1-1.
Harrison was shaken up again in stoppage time, but he remained in the game for the remainder of the added time despite tweaking his ankle for the second time in the match. He finished with two saves.
FC Dallas goalie Kevin Hartman also made two saves.
Dallas will try to end its skid at the Chicago Fire on Wednesday. Philadelphia visits Toronto FC, which has lost all nine games this season, on May 26.
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12