Gordon strikes late again to help 'Quakes tie CrewMay 20, 2012 - 4:49 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - For the second straight match, Alan Gordon popped up with a late goal to rescue a point for the San Jose Earthquakes.
The Earthquakes needed Gordon to bail them out last weekend in a 1-1 draw with Chivas USA, and the veteran striker turned out a repeat performance as his 90th-minute goal at Buck Shaw Stadium on Saturday saw his side finish with a 1-1 draw against the Columbus Crew.
The result sees San Jose (7-2-3) maintain sole possession of second place in the Western Conference on 24 points while keeping Columbus (3-4-3) third from bottom in the East on 12 points.
San Jose had a golden opportunity to grab the lead when Eric Gehrig tripped up Steven Lenhart in the box and referee Juan Guzman awarded the 'Quakes a penalty kick, but Chris Wondolowski failed to convert from the spot as Andy Gruenebaum produced a fine save.
Wondolowski came close shortly after, striking the post from a difficult angle on the left side of the box.
The Earthquakes were left to rue those misses as the Crew jumped in front against the run of play just before the close of the first half. Justin Meram collected a pass from Tony Tchani on the left side of the box and curled a brilliant shot into the far upper corner of the net, leaving Jon Busch no chance at a save.
San Jose dominated play in the second half and should have bagged multiple goals had it not been for the fantastic play of Gruenebaum, but the Columbus goalkeeper was ultimately beaten as the Crew narrowly missed out on securing their second straight win.
Gordon broke free in the box and slammed a shot off the crossbar in the final minute of regulation. The ball bounced right back to him and he swiped the rebound home in acrobatic fashion with an aerial side-volley.
San Jose has managed just two points from its last three outings, but it will look to get back in the win column Wednesday when it heads to The Home Depot Center to face the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Columbus will look to extend its unbeaten run to four games when it squares off against Seattle Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field on Wednesday.
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Montreal holds off Crew for first road win Jun 6
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Impact aim to end road troubles in Columbus Jun 5