Meram strikes again as Columbus downs SeattleMay 24, 2012 - 4:18 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Justin Meram continued his sensational run of form by bagging the game-winning goal in the Columbus Crew's 2-0 defeat of Seattle Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field on Wednesday.
Meram has scored a goal in each of the Crew's last three games, helping the club take seven points over that stretch.
Emilio Renteria popped up with the insurance goal in the second half to help Columbus (4-4-3) extend its unbeaten run to four games while handing Seattle (7-3-2) a third home loss of the season.
The Sounders dictated play throughout the opening period, but that didn't stop the Crew from jumping out in front after 15 minutes as Dilly Duka played a brilliant ball into the box for Meram to connect with header just inside the post.
Fredy Montero came within inches of pulling Seattle level in the 51st minute when he neatly collected a cross inside the box and fired a quick shot on goal, but Andy Gruenebaum continued his rich vein of form by producing a stunning reaction save to parry the effort out for a corner.
Renteria punished the Sounders for their inefficiency in front of goal as he doubled the Crew's advantage with a wonderstrike 14 minutes from time. The Venezuelan volleyed a loose ball from distance, sailing the shot over the outstretched hand of Bryan Meredith. The Sounders 'keeper got a hand to it but was unable to keep it out.
Seattle hit the post in the dying minutes but Columbus was able to sustain the late pressure to pick up three points.
Columbus will return home for a clash against the Chicago Fire on Saturday as Seattle will head to The Home Depot Center to face Chivas USA.
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13