Late Koevermans strike helps TFC grab first winMay 26, 2012 - 10:49 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Danny Koevermans entered Saturday's match against the Philadelphia Union a villain but left a hero as he scored in the 88th minute to help Toronto FC claim a 1-0 win for its first points of the season.
Koevermans made waves following Toronto's 3-1 loss at D.C. United last weekend, stating that his club was the worst in the world. But he was able to clinch a dramatic win at BMO Field despite only being on the pitch for 27 minutes, scoring at the death to move Toronto (1-9-0) to within five points of Philadelphia (2-7-2) in the Eastern Conference cellar.
Toronto had the better running of the opening period but Philadelphia emerged from halftime with a renewed vigor.
The Union came within inches of grabbing the lead five minutes after the restart when Michael Farfan ripped a shot off the crossbar from outside the box.
The home side went on the offensive after sustaining some early second-half pressure and nearly opened the scoring 10 minutes from time when Torsten Frings found himself one-on-one with Chris Konopka, but the Union goalkeeper produced a superb save to preserve the shutout.
Konopka's dreams of a clean sheet were thwarted eight minutes later as Koevermans popped up in the dying minutes with the lone goal of the affair. The Dutchman flicked a low cross from Nick Soolsma on goal from close range and while Konopka was able to make a quick reaction save, the loose ball was tucked in on the second attempt.
Both clubs will enjoy a three-week break before returning to league action on June 16. Toronto will look to build on its first league win of the season when it heads to Livestrong Sporting Park to take on Sporting Kansas City, and Philadelphia will try to get back on track in a meeting with D.C. United at PPL Park.
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
TORONTO FC: 1
May 26 6:28 PM
- Toronto Goal - Koevermans 2 (unassisted), 88th minute
Union 0, Toronto FC 1 2nd - 89'May 26 6:23 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 26 4:37 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19