Vancouver ties Portland at Jeld-Wen FieldMay 27, 2012 - 4:41 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Darren Mattocks scored his first Major League Soccer goal just after entering the match, and Vancouver Whitecaps FC tied the Portland Timbers, 1-1, on Saturday at Jeld-Wen Field.
Mattocks, who just replaced Camilo Sanvezzo, got a pass from fellow substitute Eric Hassli, settled the ball 12 yards from goal and fired a shot past Timbers goalie Troy Perkins in the 84th minute.
Kris Boyd scored earlier in the second half for Portland, but Vancouver earned a point on the road in its second Cascadia Cup match of the season. Vancouver, Portland and Seattle Sounders FC play for the Cascadia Cup.
Vancouver tied Seattle, 2-2, last week to draw its first Cascadia clash, and a scoreless opening half in Portland concluded with drenching rain and hail that forced a delay during halftime because the storm also included lightning.
Once the second half started, Portland (3-5-4) took the lead when Whitecaps FC goalie Joe Cannon could not corral a cross and just tipped it to the far post, where Boyd was waiting.
Boyd drove the ball into the goal from just a few yards out for his team-high fourth goal of the season, but Vancouver (5-3-4) denied Portland a second win during an unbeaten month.
Hassli sent a short pass from the edge of the area to Mattocks, who played the ball down off his chest, then turned and fired high to the left side to send a shot past Perkins and split the points.
Portland posted a win and three ties during May, but Vancouver will leave with the more important point, its eighth on the road this season.
Vancouver returns to MLS action over the two-week international break against the Houston Dynamo on June 10. Portland is off until June 17, when it visits the Los Angeles Galaxy.
- VANCOUVER FC: 1
May 27 12:22 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Mattocks 1 (Hassli), 84th minute
Whitecaps FC 1, Timbers 1 2nd - 86'May 27 12:16 AM
- Portland Goal - Boyd 4 (unassisted), 67th minute
Whitecaps FC 0, Timbers 1 2nd - 70'May 26 11:59 PM
- VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 26 10:08 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7