Sporting gets back to winning ways against San JoseMay 27, 2012 - 10:54 PM Kansas City, KS (Sports Network) - Sporting Kansas City returned to form on Sunday at Livestrong Sporting Park as the club snapped a four-game winless streak with a 2-1 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes.
Sporting striker Kei Kamara was instrumental in the win as he set up the first goal and scored the second in a dominant first half for the home side.
San Jose did much better after the break and pulled a goal back through Simon Dawkins with just under 20 minutes to play. However, Kansas City was determined to return to the win column for the first time since opening the season on a seven-game winning streak and held out for the win.
Manager Peter Vermes was hoping for a good start from the hosts, and his team delivered inside of five minutes as Kamara's right-wing cross found C.J. Sapong in stride and he put the ball beyond goalkeeper Jon Busch with a nicely taken volley.
Teal Bunbury should have made it 2-0 midway through the half, but he missed the net from seven yards after being played into the area by Kamara.
Sporting continued to pile up the chances and Kamara put his name on the scoresheet in the 39th minute to double the advantage, getting on the other end of a left-wing cross from Michael Harrington with a well-timed run that ended with a thumping header from seven yards into the back of the net.
Graham Zusi wasted a chance in the 52nd for Sporting to extend its lead when he missed the net with a volley from eight yards.
And San Jose pulled to within a goal when Dawkins controlled a header from Ramiro Corrales and placed it neatly inside the right post with a curling shot from the edge of the penalty area.
San Jose pressed for the equalizer but Sporting came closest to finding the net in the last 10 minutes when Kamara set up another good chance for Zusi, only for the midfielder to be turned away at close range by Busch.
- SAN JOSE: 1
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 2
May 27 6:45 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dawkins 2 (Corrales), 72nd minute
Earthquakes 1, Sporting Kansas City 2 2nd - 73'May 27 6:25 PM
- Sporting Kansas City Goal - Kamara 5 (Harrington, Myers), 39th minute
Earthquakes 0, Sporting Kansas City 2 1st - 41'May 27 5:34 PM
- Sporting Kansas City Goal - Sapong 4 (Kamara, Zusi), 5th minute
Earthquakes 0, Sporting Kansas City 1 1st - 7'May 27 5:00 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 27 4:52 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Streaking Sporting set to square off with Sounders Jun 5
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29