Le Toux lifts 10-man Vancouver past RapidsJun 17, 2012 - 1:18 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Sebastien Le Toux scored 10 minutes from time to help 10-man Vancouver Whitecaps FC to a 1-0 win over the Colorado Rapids at BC Place on Saturday.
Vancouver's Darren Mattocks picked up two yellow cards in quick succession with 30 minutes to play, but the Whitecaps responded with their best spell of pressure in the entire game, and were rewarded 10 minutes from time as Le Toux volleyed home Davide Chiumiento's lobbed pass to give his team a second successive win.
Colorado had chances to equalize in the last 10 minutes, but sustained its first defeat in three games.
The Rapids had the best chances in the first half with Martin Rivero going close with a shot from the edge of the penalty area, while Kosuke Kimura's deflected effort forced a good save from goalkeeper Joe Cannon.
Gershon Koffie blazed a shot wide from 14 yards for Vancouver early in the second half, but the hosts were reduced to 10 men as Mattocks received a second yellow card for a late challenge on Colorado's Drew Moor.
But the incident seemed to wake up the home side and Le Toux had a shot tipped onto the crossbar by goalkeeper Matt Pickens, who also made a fine stop on John Thorrington.
However, Vancouver continued to press and a brilliant ball from Chiumiento was lobbed perfectly into the path of Le Toux, who made no mistake with his volley.
The Rapids came alive in the final 10 minutes as Edu had his shot blocked by a Vancouver defender with an open net staring him in the face.
The final opportunity came in the 88th minute when Hunter Freeman got forward for the Rapids but saw his curling effort crash off the far post.
- COLORADO: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 1
Jun 16 8:55 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Le Toux 1 (Chiumiento), 80th minute
Rapids 0, Whitecaps FC 1 2nd - 81'Jun 16 8:44 PM
- COLORADO: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 16 7:07 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5