Mwanga sparks Timbers over 'Quakes at Jeld-WenJul 4, 2012 - 4:58 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Jeld-Wen, sweet Jeld-Wen.
Danny Mwanga and Jack Jewsbury each scored their first goals of the season as the Portland Timbers extended their home unbeaten streak to six matches with a 2-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes on Tuesday at Jeld-Wen Field.
Winless on the road this year, Portland won for the fifth time at home against two losses and two draws as it ended a three-game win streak for San Jose. The Timbers have not lost at home since early April.
The Earthquakes, who have the top record in MLS, lead the league with six road wins. San Jose had won three of its last four on the road.
Portland (5-7-4) held the trump card against San Jose (11-4-3): Jeld-Wen.
Mwanga scored in the 29th minute, his first goal since joining the Timbers in a trade with the Philadelphia Union in June, and Jewsbury added his first this season in the 59th.
Making just his second start and fourth appearance with Portland, Mwanga hit the post in the second half. Eric Alexander also hit the post for Portland.
San Jose tried to make Portland pay for its near-misses, as Alan Gordon pulled a goal back in the 74th, but the Timbers held off the 'Quakes and MLS scoring leader Chris Wondolowski.
The Earthquakes remain comfortably atop the Western Conference and the Timbers moved five points off the bottom and even with Chivas USA for seventh.
Portland will try to end its seven-game, year-long road winless streak at Real Salt Lake on Saturday. San Jose visits FC Dallas on Saturday.
- SAN JOSE: 1
Jul 4 12:33 AM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 7 (Chavez), 74th minute
Earthquakes 1, Timbers 2 2nd - 76'Jul 4 12:12 AM
- Portland Goal - Jewsbury 1 (unassisted), 59th minute
Earthquakes 0, Timbers 2 2nd - 60'Jul 3 11:56 PM
- Portland Goal - Mwanga 1 (Songo'o), 29th minute
Earthquakes 0, Timbers 1 1st - 30'Jul 3 11:09 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 3 10:38 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5