FCD tops Colorado to end winless droughtJul 15, 2012 - 3:15 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - FC Dallas snapped its 13-game winless run in superb fashion, earning a come-from-behind victory in a 2-1 defeat of the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Saturday.
The Texas club had not won a league match since April 14, but that lengthy spell came to an end thanks to Fabian Castillo's winner eight minutes from time.
Omar Cummings had given the home side the lead in the 50th minute, but it was canceled out 10 minutes later with Carlos Rodriguez's first goal of the season. Castillo then played the role of the hero, scoring late on to give Dallas its first road win of the campaign.
FC Dallas had the best scoring chances of the opening half, both of which fell to Brek Shea.
The talented American youngster missed a sitter 10 minutes before the half, failing to convert Fabian Castillo's low cross from inside the six-yard box.
Shea almost made amends for the miss in first-half stoppage time when he conjured a brilliant snap-header from the penalty spot, but Matt Pickens was equal to the task, producing a fine save to thwart the 22-year-old.
Colorado made the visitors pay for those misses five minutes after the restart as Cummings latched on to a brilliant through ball from Conor Casey and slotted a shot past Kevin Hartman at the near post.
FC Dallas got on level terms shortly after as Castillo's ball to the back post was met by Rodriguez, whose powerful header wrong-footed Pickens and sailed into the back of the net.
Castillo then turned scorer inside the final 10 minutes of the match, following up on a failed clearance to give Dallas a long-awaited victory.
Dallas (4-9-7) improves to 19 points on the season and returns to action Wednesday with a tough encounter at Buck Shaw Stadium against the San Jose Earthquakes.
Colorado (7-11-1) suffers its third straight defeat, staying put on 22 points for the season. The Rapids will look to turn their fortunes around Wednesday when they head to BMO Field to face Toronto FC.
- FC DALLAS: 2
Jul 14 11:03 PM
- FC Dallas Goal - Castillo 2 (unassisted), 82nd minute
FC Dallas 2, Rapids 1 2nd - 83'Jul 14 10:50 PM
- FC Dallas Goal - Rodriguez 1 (Castillo), 60th minute
FC Dallas 1, Rapids 1 2nd - 79'Jul 14 10:46 PM
- Colorado Goal - Cummings 5 (Casey), 50th minute
FC Dallas 0, Rapids 1 2nd - 50'Jul 14 10:18 PM
- FC DALLAS: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 14 9:08 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5