Wiedeman nets first goal to see TFC past RapidsJul 19, 2012 - 1:10 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Andrew Wiedeman picked a fine time to net his first career Major League Soccer goal.
The 22-year-old was acquired from FC Dallas in exchange for Julian de Guzman last week. He made an instant impact with his new club, scoring the game- winner to help Toronto claim its third straight victory with a come-from- behind 2-1 defeat of the Colorado Rapids at BMO Field on Wednesday.
Conor Casey gave the visiting Rapids the lead in the 23rd minute, a lead that they held until the 51st minute when Ryan Johnson equalized for TFC.
The Reds ultimately took control of the match in the 67th minute when Wiedeman netted the telling goal to power TFC (5-11-4) to 19 points on the season, just one point shy of the Philadelphia Union for a place outside of the Eastern Conference cellar.
Colorado (7-12-1) has lost four straight, still stuck on 22 points in the Western Conference.
Toronto had the better of the early running, coming close to breaking the deadlock with some half-chances before being awarded a penalty kick in the second minute.
Referee Ismail Elfath immediately pointed to the spot after Luis Silva was pulled down by Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens, but Johnson failed to convert the ensuing kick, hammering his shot off the outside of the post.
Colorado settled into the match and eventually went in front when Hunter Freeman's cross was met with a header from Casey in the 23rd minute.
Toronto regrouped at halftime and got on level terms six minutes after the restart. Johnson made amends for his miss from the spot by collecting a loose ball outside the Rapids box and slipping a shot past the on-rushing Pickens.
The home side completed the comeback 16 minutes later when Doneil Henry cut the ball back from the endline for Wiedeman to fire a quick shot past Pickens from close range.
The Reds held on for the remainder of the match to improve to 3-5-2 at home this season.
Colorado returns to action Saturday with a crucial rivalry match at Real Salt Lake, while Toronto is off until July 28 when it welcomes the Houston Dynamo to BMO Field.
- COLORADO: 1
TORONTO FC: 2
Jul 18 9:00 PM
- Toronto FC Goal - Wiedeman 1 (Henry), 67th minute
Rapids 1, Toronto FC 2 2nd - 70'Jul 18 8:36 PM
- Toronto FC Goal - Johnson 4 (unassisted), 51st minute
Rapids 1, Toronto FC 1 2nd - 51'Jul 18 8:16 PM
- Colorado Goal - Casey 2 (Freeman), 23rd minute
Rapids 1, Toronto FC 0 1st - 25'Jul 18 7:34 PM
- COLORADO: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 18 7:08 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18