Seattle holds off RSL to salvage a pointOct 18, 2012 - 4:12 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - The Western Conference playoff picture remained unchanged Wednesday after Real Salt Lake and Seattle Sounders FC played to a 0-0 draw at CenturyLink Field.
The two sides already have secured spots in the postseason, but Wednesday's draw means that they will stay three points apart heading into the weekend. Real Salt Lake (17-11-5 sits second in the West on 56 points, while Seattle (14-7-11) trails in third place with a game in hand, which will be made up on Sunday against FC Dallas.
Seattle was dealt a harsh blow at the half-hour mark when Zach Scott was given his marching orders, picking up a second yellow card for upending Javier Morales with a rash challenge.
But the Sounders rose coped well despite playing down a man for 60 minutes, defending with courage while still managing to create the odd scoring chance.
The best chances of the night came in the dying minutes when Chris Schuler fired a shot on goal from close range, but Sounders goalkeeper Michael Gspurning pulled off a miraculous save to keep the visitors off the board.
Real Salt Lake nearly made the most of the ensuing corner kick, but Sebastian Velasquez's shot was deflected by Gspurning before trickling off the outside of the post. The Austrian 'keeper smothered the loose ball to put the finishing touches on a hard-fought point for the home side.
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
Oct 18 12:00 AM
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 17 10:07 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19