Cooper's brace lifts Red Bulls over UnionJul 21, 2012 - 8:57 PM Philadelphia Union, 2-0, on Saturday afternoon at Red Bull Arena.
Cooper scored 11 goals in his first 13 matches this season, but failed to get a single goal over his next seven MLS games. He last scored on May 23 against Chivas USA.
New York (11-5-5) remained unbeaten at home this season with its seven win in 10 matches at RBA, and moved into first place in the Eastern Conference.
Philadelphia (6-10-2) had its three-fixture win streak snapped, as it remained winless in three all-time visits up I-95 to the Red Bulls' new stadium.
Cooper was dangerous early as New York controlled the first half, but two good chances were saved by Union goalkeeper Zac MacMath.
Josue Martinez had the lone good chance of the first half for Philadelphia in the 40th minute but, after a through ball from Michael Farfan sent him behind New York's defense, Red Bulls goalie Bill Gaudette made a good save.
Cooper ended his drought in the 43rd minute, as he ran onto a left-wing cross from Connor Lade and turned a header inside the right post to leave MacMath no chance.
New York doubled its lead after halftime on an almost identical goal, this one off a left-wing cross from Thierry Henry. Cooper got behind two Union players, then directed a header inside the left post in the 58th minute.
Cooper, who has three more goals than Henry, is second in the league behind San Jose forward Chris Wondolowski. Gaudette, recently acquired by the Red Bulls, earned his second straight shutout.
New York surpassed last year's win total with its 11th victory this season and will visit the Montreal Impact after the All-Star game for its next match July 28. Philadelphia will try to rebound July 29 at the New England Revolution.
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19