Birchall fires Columbus past DCUJul 22, 2012 - 1:45 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Chris Birchall helped Columbus Crew snap a two-game losing streak Saturday, nabbing the lone goal in a 1-0 defeat of D.C. United at Crew Stadium.
The telling strike came early on in the second half as Birchall latched on to a brilliant through ball from Jairo Arrieta and fired a powerful shot past Joe Willis for his first goal since joining the Crew back in May.
D.C. came close to equalizing on a couple of occasions as Dwayne De Rosario had a goal pulled back for offsides in the 50th minute and Long Tan struck the woodwork two minutes from time.
But Columbus, having entered Saturday's match with four goals conceded in its last two league matches, held on to the clean sheet thanks to some organized defensive play, led by goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum.
The Crew (7-7-4) improve to 25 points on the season and return to action July 28 with a trip to Livestrong Sporting Park to take on Sporting Kansas City. United (10-7-3) has a friendly match with French side PSG slated for next Saturday, but returns to league play the following week in another meeting with Columbus.
- D.C. UNITED: 0
Jul 21 9:28 PM
- Columbus Goal - Birchall 1 (Arrieta), 46th minute
D.C. United 0, Crew SC 1 2nd - 48'Jul 21 8:42 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 21 7:37 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12