Alonso, Seattle hand Colorado sixth straight lossJul 29, 2012 - 3:12 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Osvaldo Alonso piled more misery on the Colorado Rapids on Saturday, scoring the game-winner in the 65th minute to see Seattle Sounders FC grab a 2-1 win at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
The result sees Colorado's losing streak extended to a club-record six games, keeping the Rapids (7-14-2) stuck on 23 points for the season.
The match began with a bang as both sides scored inside the opening three minutes - Eddie Johnson opened the scoring for Seattle before Colorado's Drew Moor quickly pulled one back - but Alonso's second-half strike was the difference as Seattle (9-5-8) keeps pace in the Western Conference table by improving to 34 points, good enough for third place.
Johnson, fresh off his game-winning goal in the MLS All-Star Game against Chelsea on Wednesday, put Seattle in front less than two minutes into the match, nodding home an inch-perfect corner kick from Mauro Rosales.
It didn't take the Rapids long to get on level terms as Moor fired a low cross from Brian Mullan into the roof of the net one minute later.
Johnson and Rosales combined once more in the 24th minute to nearly give Seattle another lead, but Johnson's shot from the right side of the box was pushed onto the post by Colorado goalkeeper Matt Pickens.
The two sides remained deadlocked at a goal apiece until the 65th minute when a well-worked Sounders move was capped by a superb one-time finish from Alonso, who hammered a side volley past Pickens for his first goal of the campaign.
Colorado created several scoring chances down the stretch, but Seattle defended well to keep the home side at bay and hold on to all three points.
The Rapids return to action with a tough home fixture as they face Real Salt Lake on August 4. The Sounders will host the Los Angeles Galaxy at CenturyLink Field on August 5.
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18