McInerney rescues Union against RevolutionJul 30, 2012 - 1:31 AM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - The Philadelphia Union claimed a dramatic win at PPL Park on Sunday, riding a late goal from Jack McInerney to a 2-1 win over the New England Revolution.
Saer Sene put the visitors in front in the first half with his ninth goal of the season, but Philadelphia clawed its way back after the restart thanks to a penalty kick from Freddy Adu and McInerney's late winner.
Philadelphia (7-10-2) is 5-2-0 over its last seven games, going level with New England (6-10-5) on 23 points after the Revolution's third loss from its last four league games.
Sene opened the scoring less than 12 minutes in, collecting a pass from Kelyn Rowe and ripping a shot from distance. The Frenchman's effort looked as if it would be an easy save for Zac MacMath, but the swerve on the shot saw it fly past the Union 'keeper and into the back of the net.
New England was unfortunate not to get a penalty kick in the 53rd minute when Sene's shot from inside the box was blocked by the outstretched arm of Sheanon Williams. It went unnoticed by referee Edvin Jurisevic.
The visitors were even more unlucky moments later when Kevin Alston tripped up Jack McInerney. Replays showed that the infraction occurred just outside the box, but Jurisevic pointed to the spot and Adu took advantage, slotting home from 12 yards out to draw the home side level.
New England came close to finding the go-ahead goal 11 minutes from time when Sene's through ball found the run of Shalrie Joseph, but the midfielder's effort sailed inches over the crossbar.
The Union made the visitors pay for that miss in the dying minutes as Williams delivered an inch-perfect cross to the back post for McInerney to head home from inside the six-yard box.
New England is 1-8-2 on the road this season, taking just one point from its three-game road trip.
The Revs will look to get back on track next time out as they welcome the Sporting Kansas City to Gillette Stadium on August 4. The Union will head to the Stade Saputo to face the Montreal Impact the same day.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
Jul 29 9:22 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - McInerney 4 (Williams), 90th minute
Revolution 1, Union 2 2nd - 89'Jul 29 9:14 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Adu 3 (PK), 59th minute
Revolution 1, Union 1 2nd - 60'Jul 29 8:42 PM
- New England Goal - Sene 9 (Rowe), 12th minute
Revolution 1, Union 0 1st - 13'Jul 29 7:39 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 29 7:26 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19