Pontius nets 10th goal to lift D.C. over ColumbusAug 5, 2012 - 2:03 AM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - Chris Pontius scored his 10th goal as D.C. United extended its home undefeated streak to 10 games with a 1-0 win over the Columbus Crew on Saturday night at RFK Stadium.
Pontius, MVP of the MLS All-Star Game, scored in the 49th minute for the game- winner as he slammed home a rebound from just a few yards out. His 10 goals is already three more than his previous career high set last season.
D.C. (11-7-3) lost its home opener to Sporting Kansas City in March, but since has won eight of its 10 home MLS matches. United has won its last six at home.
United remained fourth in the Eastern Conference, but moved within four points of first place. The Houston Dynamo and Sporting are tied on 40 points atop the East.
Columbus (8-8-4) had its two-game win streak, which included a 1-0 win against United at home, ended. The Crew are seventh in the East, 12 points behind the co-leaders.
United visits Kansas City for its next MLS match Aug. 11, when Columbus visits Toronto FC.
- COLUMBUS: 0
D.C. UNITED: 1
Aug 4 9:29 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Pontius 10 (unassisted), 49th minute
Crew SC 0, D.C. United 1 2nd - 51'Aug 4 8:46 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 4 7:39 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12