Sporting edges New England at GilletteAug 5, 2012 - 2:15 AM Foxborough, MA (Sports Network) - Teal Bunbury scored in the 20th minute and Sporting Kansas City downed the New England Revolution, 1-0, on Saturday night at Gillette Stadium to earn a share of the Eastern Conference lead in MLS.
Sporting entered the game three points behind the Houston Dynamo, which downed Red Bull New York, 2-0, on Friday night. But Kansas City responded to climb up the table and even with Houston on 40 points.
Kansas City (12-7-4) was winless in its last three matches.
Bunbury notched the lone goal in the first half when he converted to the lower right for his fourth goal of the season. Kansas City made the lone goal stand, as it posted its 10th shutout this year.
Goalie Jimmy Nielsen made two saves, and has been in goal for every match this season for Sporting (12-7-4).
New England (6-11-5) is winless in five straight, including two losses at home during the skid. The Revolution remained in ninth in the East.
Sporting will host D.C. United in a key East game Aug. 11, when New England is also back in action at home against the Montreal Impact.
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
NEW ENGLAND: 0
Aug 4 9:30 PM
- Kansas City Goal - Bunbury 4 (unassisted), 20th minute
Sporting Kansas City 1, Revolution 0 1st - 23'Aug 4 8:01 PM
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 4 7:39 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12