Rapids edge Real to snap six-game losing streakAug 5, 2012 - 3:24 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Joseph Nane scored his first career goal Saturday. It might be the most important goal of the season for the Colorado Rapids.
Nane scored late in the first half as Colorado snapped a six-match losing skid in MLS with a 1-0 win over Real Salt Lake at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Making just his third start, and appearance this season, Nane settled the ball at the top of the area and drove a shot just under the crossbar. Nane, who has played 24 MLS matches, hit the bar earlier in the first half.
Colorado (8-14-1) won for the first time since late June, when it defeated the Portland Timbers, 3-0. The Rapids lost all six of their matches in July.
Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens made just one save for his sixth shutout of the season.
RSL (13-8-3) won its first two games against Colorado by identical 2-0 scores, but wasted a chance to sweep the season series and move into first in the West over the San Jose Earthquakes. Real remained two points back in second.
Colorado, which climbed within one point of Chivas USA for sixth in the West, visits FC Dallas on Aug. 11 in its next league game. Real will visit Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Aug. 11 for its next league match.
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
Aug 4 10:59 PM
- Colorado Goal - Nane 1 (unassisted), 38th minute
Real Salt Lake 0, Rapids 1 1st - 41'Aug 4 9:48 PM
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 4 9:08 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18