Montreal topples San Jose to extend winning streakAug 19, 2012 - 1:42 AM Montreal, QC (Sports Network) - The Montreal Impact continued its best run of form in MLS with a 3-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes at Saputo Stadium on Saturday.
The Impact brought a three-game winning streak into the game, but fell behind midway through the first half when Chris Wondolowski converted from the penalty spot after both Hassoun Camara and Steven Lenhart were sent off for an incident away from the ball.
However, Montreal responded within two minutes to level the match through Marco Di Vaio.
The teams entered the final half hour on level terms, but the home side finished strong by scoring twice, while San Jose's Jason Hernandez was sent off.
The incident between Camara and Lenhart was the first major talking point in the game, and because it took place inside the Montreal penalty area, referee Armando Villarreal decided to point to the penalty spot.
Wondolowski had no trouble converting for his 18th goal of the campaign, but the lead didn't last long.
Two minutes later, Felipe Martins set up a close-range tap in for Di Vaio to level the contest at halftime.
Lamar Neagle fired Montreal ahead in the 62nd minute when he collected a pass from Patrice Bernier 20 yards from goal and curled it first-time around goalkeeper Jon Busch.
San Jose has shown an ability to score late in games this season, but there would be no heroics on this night as Hernandez received his marching orders 20 minutes from time when he pulled down Di Vaio inside the area.
Bernier stepped to the spot and sent Busch the wrong way, sealing the Impact's fourth successive win.
- SAN JOSE: 1
Aug 18 9:30 PM
- Montreal Goal - Bernier 7 (PK), 72nd minute
Earthquakes 1, Impact 3 2nd - 73'Aug 18 9:10 PM
- Montreal Goal - Neagle 2 (Bernier), 62nd minute
Earthquakes 1, Impact 2 2nd - 63'Aug 18 9:01 PM
- Montreal Goal - Neagle 2 (Martins, Di Vaio), 25th minute
Earthquakes 1, Impact 1 1st - 27'Aug 18 8:09 PM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 18 (PK), 23rd minute
Earthquakes 1, Impact 0 1st - 23'Aug 18 8:03 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 18 7:40 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Montreal ends Orlando's unbeaten run Jun 20
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Confident Orlando tangles with Montreal Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- NYCFC tops Impact at Yankee Stadium Jun 13
- NYCFC set to host Impact Jun 12
- Montreal holds off Crew for first road win Jun 6