Arrieta, Higuain lift Crew past RevsAug 26, 2012 - 1:43 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Jairo Arrieta and Federico Higuain bagged two goals apiece to help the Columbus Crew win their second consecutive match, edging the New England Revolution 4-3 in a thrilling affair at Crew Stadium on Saturday.
The match exploded with four goals coming in the span of 12 first-half minutes.
New England jumped out to a two-goal lead through Ryan Guy and Jerry Bengston only for Columbus to equalize through Higuain and Arrieta.
Higuain put the Crew in front with a goal just before halftime as the home side looked well on their way to collecting all three points, but Lee Nguyen converted a late penalty kick to level the score.
It made no difference though, as Columbus ultimately came out on top through Arrieta's second of the match, which came four minutes from time.
Columbus (10-8-6) is unbeaten in its last four, going 2-0-2 over that stretch to move to within four points of playoff spot. New England (6-14-5) is winless in its last eight, suffering its fifth successive defeat to stay second from bottom in the Eastern Conference on 23 points.
New England claimed the lead in the 17th minute when Guy collected a pass from Saer Sene and blasted a shot past Andy Gruenebaum from outside the box.
Six minutes later, the Revs doubled their shocking lead as Bengston latched on to a through ball from Benny Feilhaber, skipped past the on-rushing Gruenebaum and slotted a low shot into the empty net.
Columbus pulled one back through Higuain's free kick moments later and eventually leveled the score in the 32nd minute when Arrieta broke through on goal and roofed a powerful shot past Matt Reis.
The Crew took their first lead of the night just before halftime as Higuain produced another stunning free kick to beat Reis.
The home side held the lead until the final 10 minutes when Julius James pulled down Diego Fagundez in the box. Nguyen converted from the penalty spot to get New England on level terms with nine minutes to go.
But the Revs could not hold on for a point as Arrieta popped up with his second of the night shortly after. Tony Tchani played a looping through ball into space and the Costa Rican notched the game-winner with a low shot past Reis.
- NEW ENGLAND: 3
Aug 25 9:29 PM
- Columbus Goal - Arrieta 5 (Tchani, Mirosevic), 86th minute
Revolution 3, Crew SC 4 2nd - 86'Aug 25 9:22 PM
- New England Goal - Nguyen 4 (PK), 81st minute
Revolution 3, Crew SC 3 2nd - 82'Aug 25 9:17 PM
- Columbus Goal - Higuain 3 (unassisted), 43rd minute
Revolution 2, Crew SC 3 1st - 44'Aug 25 8:22 PM
- Columbus Goal - Arrieta 4 (Mirosevic), 32nd minute
Revolution 2, Crew SC 2 1st - 33'Aug 25 8:11 PM
- Columbus Goal - Higuain 1 (unassisted), 26th minute
Revolution 2, Crew SC 1 1st - 27'Aug 25 8:04 PM
- New England Goal - Bengston 2 (Feilhaber), 23rd minute
Revolution 2, Crew SC 0 1st - 25'Aug 25 8:01 PM
- New England Goal - Guy 1 (unassisted), 17th minute
Revolution 1, Crew SC 0 1st - 17'Aug 25 7:55 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 25 7:37 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12