Dawkins, Gordon lead San Jose to 4-1 win over ColoradoAug 26, 2012 - 4:42 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Simon Dawkins and Alan Gordon both scored twice as the San Jose Earthquakes downed the Colorado Rapids, 4-1, on Saturday night at Buck Shaw Stadium in MLS.
Dawkins scored his fifth and sixth goals of the season and Gordon his 11th and 12th, second on the team to Chris Wondolowski. Dawkins and Gordon both notched a goal in each half.
The Earthquakes (15-6-5) remained unbeaten at Buck Shaw in 12 games this year, as their lone home loss was in the second week of the year against the Houston Dynamo at AT&T Park.
Tyrone Marshall scored for Colorado (8-16-2), which lost for the eighth time in its last 10 matches and for the 11th time in 13 road games this season.
Dawkins opened the scoring in the 11th minute off an assist from Gordon, as he converted from 18 yards to the bottom-right corner. Gordon scored his first of the night two minutes before half when he poked home a cross from Rafael Baca.
Marshall pulled a goal back in the 54th minute as he headed in a Martin Rivero cross, but Dawkins and Gordon each added their second goals of the match in a seven-minute stretch of the second half to seal the match.
Dawkins accepted a pass from Sam Cronin at the top of the penalty area and hit a nice strike off the bounce to the bottom-right corner. Gordon added the last goal in the 75th minute off a headed assist from Ramiro Corrales.
San Jose guaranteed it will hold onto the overall lead in MLS after this week, and will host Chivas USA in its next match Sept. 2. Colorado travels to battle the Portland Timbers on Friday in its next match.
- COLORADO: 1
SAN JOSE: 4
Aug 26 12:27 AM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 12 (Corrales), 75th minute
Rapids 1, Earthquakes 4 2nd - 78'Aug 26 12:12 AM
- San Jose Goal - Dawkins 6 (Cronin), 68th minute
Rapids 1, Earthquakes 3 2nd - 69'Aug 26 12:04 AM
- Colorado Goal - Marshall 2 (Rivero), 54th minute
Rapids 1, Earthquakes 2 2nd - 57'Aug 25 11:50 PM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 11 (Baca), 43rd minute
Rapids 0, Earthquakes 2 1st - 45'Aug 25 11:23 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dawkins 5 (Gordon), 11th minute
Rapids 0, Earthquakes 1 1st - 14'Aug 25 10:53 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 25 10:38 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30