Dike lifts Portland out of last placeSep 1, 2012 - 4:54 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - There is a new team bottoming the Western Conference.
The Portland Timbers have been in the cellar for much of the season, but they swapped places with the Colorado Rapids on Friday after Bright Dike handed the Rose City club a 1-0 win in front of a 31st consecutive sell-out crowd at Jeld-Wen Field.
Portland (7-13-6) has managed to put together a small winning streak, claiming back-to-back victories to improve to 27 points on the season.
Colorado (8-17-2) has endured some abysmal form, going 2-11-1 over its last 14 games to go bottom of the West on 26 points.
The two sides traded half-chances until the Timbers bagged the lone goal just before halftime.
Portland caught Colorado on the counter attack with Sal Zizzo breaking free on the right flank. The winger beat his man and whipped an inch-perfect ball to the top of the six-yard box where Dike was arriving to tuck home his second goal of the season.
The Timbers nearly doubled their lead in first-half stoppage time when Franck Songo'o threaded a perfect pass through the Rapids defense, but Darlington Nagbe was unable to convert the chance, sending his effort just wide of the post.
Nagbe's miss ultimately made no difference as the Timbers kept their first clean sheet since May to ride Dike's goal to all three points.
Portland and Colorado will renew acquaintances in just five days, meeting again at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday.
- COLORADO: 0
Sep 1 12:46 AM
- Portland Goal - Dike 2 (Zizzo), 45th minute
Rapids 0, Timbers 1 1st - 44'Aug 31 11:43 PM
- COLORADO: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 31 10:53 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19