Renteria's late heroics lift Crew over ImpactSep 2, 2012 - 1:47 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Emilio Renteria scored in stoppage time to hand the Columbus Crew a 2-1 comeback win against the Montreal Impact at Crew Stadium on Saturday.
The match failed to produce much in the way of chances until the final 20 minutes, when Marco Di Vaio put Montreal in front with 17 minutes to play.
However, Federico Higuain's free kick found the head of Chad Marshall to help the Crew level the match in the 80th minute before the Argentine also set up the winning goal in the 93rd minute for Renteria.
The result extends the Crew's winning streak to four games and moves the club three points clear of Montreal and into the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff picture.
Montreal, meanwhile, saw its five-game winning streak snapped and now faces an uphill battle in the playoff race.
After a tight opening 45 minutes, Montreal goalkeeper Troy Perkins produced a pair of big saves early in the second half to deny Nemanja Vukovic and Eddie Gaven.
Di Vaio got on the other end of a pass from Felipe Martins and did well to chip the ball beyond Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum.
But just when it looked like Montreal's winning streak would continue, Marshall headed home Higuain's free kick to level the contest, and Renteria also got his head on a cross from Higuain in the dying moments to help the Crew steal three potentially valuable points.
- MONTREAL: 1
Sep 1 9:35 PM
- Columbus Goal - Renteria 3 (Higuain), 90th minute
Impact 1, Crew SC 2 2nd - 89'Sep 1 9:33 PM
- Columbus Goal - Marshall 2 (Higuain), 80th minute
Impact 1, Crew SC 1 2nd - 81'Sep 1 9:20 PM
- Montreal Goal - Di Vaio 4 (Martins), 73rd minute
Impact 1, Crew SC 0 2nd - 75'Sep 1 9:12 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Half - 1'
Sep 1 7:38 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Montreal ends Orlando's unbeaten run Jun 20
- Confident Orlando tangles with Montreal Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- NYCFC tops Impact at Yankee Stadium Jun 13