Johnson, RSL pile more pressure on DCUSep 2, 2012 - 4:35 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - After a lengthy delay due to lightning, Will Johnson emerged with the lone goal to lift Real Salt Lake to a 1-0 win at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday and pile more pressure on D.C. United.
With the loss, D.C. (12-10-5) slips to fifth place in the Eastern Conference on 41 points through 27 games. United could find themselves outside of the playoff window by the end of the weekend should the Chicago Fire pick up a result against the Houston Dynamo on Sunday.
Dwayne De Rosario came within inches of giving D.C. the lead in the 28th minute when his rocket from distance was tipped onto the post by Nick Rimando.
Real Salt Lake made the visitors rue that near-goal shortly after halftime as a deflected cross was headed home by Johnson in the 49th minute.
The result helps Real Salt Lake (14-10-4) solidify second place in the West with 46 points on the season, snapping a four-game winless run in the process.
Salt Lake returns to action with a trip to BBVA Compass Stadium to face Houston on Thursday. United will enjoy a short layoff, playing its next match on September 15 against the New England Revolution.
- D.C. UNITED: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 1
Sep 2 12:22 AM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Johnson 3 (Morales), 49th minute
D.C. United 0, Real Salt Lake 1 2nd - 50'Sep 1 11:40 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Sep 1 9:08 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19