Portland's road woes continue in loss to RapidsSep 6, 2012 - 3:40 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - The Portland Timbers dropped to the bottom of the Western Conference on Wednesday after suffering a 3-0 defeat against the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Portland had won its last two games coming into the match, while the Rapids had claimed only one win in their last 11 contests.
But Colorado got off to a quick start and went up two goals in the opening 30 minutes before Jaime Castrillon added a third to seal the win, dropping the Timbers road record to 0-10-3 on the season.
The home side almost took the lead in the opening minute as Tony Cascio got into the penalty area on the left and fired a shot off the post from a tight angle.
However, the opener arrived five minutes later as Drew Moor played a ball to the back post that fell into the path of Andre Akpan, who reacted quickly by scoring from eight yards on a first-time shot.
The lead was doubled in the 27th with Castrillon setting it up by finding Cascio at the back post with a right-wing cross. Cascio's initial effort was kept out by goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, but he stayed with the play and scored on the rebound.
Portland tried to get back into the match in the second half, but Diego Chara squandered a great chance as he drove a low shot into the legs of goalkeeper Matt Pickens from 12 yards with plenty of the net to look at.
Castrillon then put the match away four minutes from time when he scored on a header from close range after Moor nodded the ball back across the face of goal.
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19