Neal leads United past New EnglandSep 16, 2012 - 1:38 AM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - D.C. United vaulted itself into a playoff position on Saturday, while the New England Revolution were officially eliminated from playoff contention after United's 2-1 win over the Revs at RFK Stadium.
New England snapped a 10-game winless streak last time out and got off to a good start on Saturday as Kelyn Rowe's deflected shot found its way past goalkeeper Bill Hamid.
However, United was back on level terms only three minutes later when Chris Pontius found room to unleash a shot from 25 yards that was driven low and just inside the left post.
The home side started to get the better of the play as the second half wore on, and substitute Lewis Neal broke the tie shortly after the hour mark when he took a pass from Pontius and beat goalkeeper Matt Reis with a well-placed shot from outside the box.
The goal was the first for Neal this season, but it came at an opportune time as United held on for the win after Benny Feilhaber had the best chance for the Revs the rest of the game, but watched his shot whistle past the left post 11 minutes from time.
With a 3-1 loss suffered by Columbus earlier on Saturday against Red Bull New York, United moves two points clear of the Crew for the fifth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
D.C. UNITED: 2
Sep 15 9:36 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Neal 1 (Pontius), 63rd minute
Revolution 1, D.C. United 2 2nd - 65'Sep 15 9:03 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Pontius 11 (Boskovic) 32nd minute
Revolution 1, D.C. United 1 1st - 35'Sep 15 8:15 PM
- New England Goal - Rowe 3 (Fagundez), 29th minute
Revolution 1, D.C. United 0 1st - 30'Sep 15 8:13 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
Sep 15 7:42 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12