Galaxy top Rapids to extend unbeaten runSep 15, 2012 - 5:03 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Galaxy extended its unbeaten run to five games on Friday, winning its third straight match by a 2-0 score with a defeat of the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center.
Los Angeles (14-11-4) came into the game on the back of successive 2-0 home defeats of FC Dallas and Vancouver Whitecaps FC, continuing that trend thanks to goals from Robbie Keane and debutant Christian Wilhelmsson.
The result lifts the Galaxy into a tie with Real Salt Lake for third place in the Western Conference with 46 points apiece, but also keeps Colorado (9-18-2) seventh in the West on 29 points.
Los Angeles jumped in front in the 15th minute when Keane capped a well-worked combination from Marcelo Sarvas and Landon Donovan with a low shot past Matt Pickens for his 12th goal of the season.
The lead was doubled by Wilhelmsson in the 59th minute when he latched on to a long ball from Sarvas, made space for himself with a nifty turn and fired a low shot past Pickens. The Colorado 'keeper got both hands to the shot and should have produced a save.
Colorado will look to bounce back on September 23 when it heads to BC Place to face Vancouver. Los Angeles returns to action with its fourth home match in a row, taking on Toronto FC on September 22.
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18