Portland denied first road win by Wondolowski's late heroicsSep 20, 2012 - 5:30 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Wondolowski came off the bench in the second half to score two goals as the San Jose Earthquakes rallied for a 2-2 draw with the Portland Timbers at Buck Shaw Stadium on Wednesday.
Portland was in position to claim its first road win in 14 games this season as Danny Mwanga scored a goal in each half to put the Timbers up 2-0 with 20 minutes to play.
But Wondolowski pulled a goal back for San Jose in the 73rd minute before scoring the equalizer in stoppage time after Sam Cronin's cross was deflected into his path for a close-range header.
Mwanga put Portland into the lead on the stroke of halftime as Rodney Wallace played him into the area and he rounded goalkeeper Jon Busch before rolling the ball into the empty net.
The former Philadelphia Union forward had scored only one goal this season prior to Wednesday's game, but he doubled his tally in the 62nd minute with a splendid strike from 20 yards after being given space at the edge of the box.
San Jose fought back and pulled to within a goal in the 73rd when Alan Gordon's flick was touched on by Steven Lenhart, allowing Wondolowski to find the bottom corner of the net from 12 yards.
And like they have so many times this season, the 'Quakes provided more late- game heroics with Wondolowski netting his 21st goal of the season after the kind deflection to deny Portland what would have been three precious points.
The Timbers now trail Vancouver by eight points for the fifth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
- PORTLAND: 2
SAN JOSE: 2
Sep 20 12:33 AM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 21 (unassisted), 90th minute
Timbers 2, Earthquakes 2 2nd - 89'Sep 20 12:30 AM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 20 (Lenhart, Gordon), 73rd minute
Timbers 2, Earthquakes 1 2nd - 74'Sep 20 12:13 AM
- Portland Goal - Mwanga 3 (Songo'o), 62nd minute
Timbers 2, Earthquakes 0 2nd - 63'Sep 20 12:01 AM
- PORTLAND: 1
SAN JOSE: 0
2nd Half - 90'
Timbers 1, Earthquakes 0 2nd - 90'Sep 19 11:27 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Sep 19 10:38 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5