McInerney leads Union past RevolutionOct 7, 2012 - 1:06 AM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - Jack McInerney continued his fine run of form under head coach John Hackworth by scoring a second-half goal to lead the Philadelphia Union to a 1-0 defeat of the New England Revolution at PPL Park on Saturday.
The Union have not had much to celebrate this season - they remain third from bottom in the East despite improving to 36 points on the season - but the emergence of McInerney has been a pleasant surprise. The youngster struggled to nail down a consistent run in Peter Nowak's team, but McInerney tallied his seventh-goal of the season on Saturday, the most for the Union this term.
Philadelphia (10-15-6) has won three of its last four as it looks to close out the season on a high note, while New England (7-17-8) is winless in its last four league games to stay put on 29 points.
The Revolution had the first real scoring opportunity of the night when Jerry Bengston went around Zac MacMath just before the half-hour mark, but the Honduran striker slammed his effort off the base of the post.
The visitors were made to rue that miss in the 73rd minute when goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth was caught creeping off his line. Keon Daniel's inch- perfect delivery from a free kick near the sideline was met by McInerney at the back post for the lone goal of the night.
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
Oct 6 8:59 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - McInerney 6 (Daniel), 73rd minute
Revolution 0, Union 1 2nd - 74'Oct 6 8:38 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 6 7:08 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19