Seattle rolls over Portland in front of 66,452Oct 8, 2012 - 3:19 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Seattle Sounders FC did not disappoint another impressive crowd at CenturyLink Field on Sunday night.
Eddie Johnson scored his team-high 14th goal and Fredy Montero added his 13th, as Seattle rolled to a 3-0 win against the Portland Timbers in front of 66,452 fans, the second-highest regular-season crowd in MLS history.
Seattle (14-7-10) moved up to third place in the Western Conference standings, two points ahead of the Los Angeles Galaxy. The top three teams receive a bye in the first round of the playoffs.
The Sounders also moved into the lead for the Cascadia Cup, which is contested by Seattle, Portland and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. The Timbers would have sealed the Cup with a win.
Portland (7-16-9) lost for the third time during its current six-match winless streak, and remained winless on the road this season with just one away match left this year.
Seattle took the lead in the 25th minute, when a cross from Adam Johansson had eyes for Montero, but Portland defender Mamadou Danso turned the ball into his own net from the edge of the six-yard box.
The Sounders built on the momentum just three minutes later, as Brad Evans was able to swing a cross into the area that Johnson struck on the half-volley for a great finish from the middle of the area in the 28th minute.
Montero had a shot pushed off the post by Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts just two minutes later as Seattle continued to pressure, and the Sounders put the match away just after the hour mark.
After his initial shot was knocked down by Ricketts, Montero raced to get onto the rebound and was able to deflect an attempted clearance from Jack Jewsbury into the net in the 62nd minute for the third goal for Seattle.
Seattle has played one less match than every other team in the West, and could still finish second with Real Salt Lake just two points away in second place. The Sounders host Real Salt Lake on Oct. 17 in their next match.
Portland, which is just one point off the bottom of the West, visits Vancouver on Oct. 21 for its final road match.
- PORTLAND: 0
Oct 7 11:02 PM
- Seattle Goal - Jewsbury (OG), 62nd minute
Timbers 0, Sounders FC 3 2nd - 65'Oct 7 10:35 PM
- Seattle Goal - Johnson 14 (Evans), 28th minute
Timbers 0, Sounders FC 2 1st - 31'Oct 7 9:42 PM
- Seattle Goal - Danso (OG), 25th minute
Timbers 0, Sounders FC 1 1st - 26'Oct 7 9:37 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 7 9:11 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14