Portland claims Cascadia Cup with win over VancouverOct 22, 2012 - 1:23 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - The Portland Timbers managed to salvage something from what has been a mostly forgettable season on Sunday as the club's 1-0 win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place clinched the Cascadia Cup.
Vancouver entered the contest knowing that a win would make the team the first from Canada to clinch a postseason berth.
However, a surprisingly flat performance followed, with Portland's Jack Jewsbury providing the lone goal with a fantastic first-half strike.
The Timbers had already been eliminated from playoff contention and brought a six-game winless streak into the game.
Making matters worse was the fact that Portland had yet to win a game away from home, which was a good sign for the Whitecaps.
However, Jewsbury provided the lone moment of inspiration in the first half when Franck Songo'o dropped him a ball that he lashed into the upper right corner of the net from 35 yards.
Bright Dike tried to double the lead in the 75th minute but his near-post effort was tipped wide by Vancouver goalkeeper Brad Knighton.
The best chance that the hosts had to equalize came 11 minutes from time as Barry Robson saw his rocket from 20 yards sail just over the crossbar.
- PORTLAND: 1
VANCOUVER FC: 0
Oct 21 9:03 PM
- Portland Goal - Jewsbury 3 (Songo'o), 39th minute
Timbers 1, Whitecaps FC 0 1st - 41'Oct 21 7:52 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 21 7:10 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7