Wondolowski scores as 'Quakes earn draw with GalaxyOct 22, 2012 - 1:14 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Wondolowski moved another step closer to Roy Lassiter's single-season goals record as the San Jose Earthquakes striker netted his 26th goal of the season in the second half of a 2-2 draw against the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday.
The goal moves Wondolowski to within one goal of Lassiter's record, and he will have a chance to equal the mark in San Jose's final game of the season, which comes next Saturday at Portland.
A scoreless first half was dominated by the Galaxy, but both sides turned up the offense after the break and created numerous scoring chances.
Wondolowski was denied by the post on two separate occasions early in the second half before Los Angeles took the lead through Robbie Keane in the 59th minute.
However, Marvin Chavez answered with a brilliant free kick two minutes later to level the match.
The visitors regained the lead in the 69th when Sean Franklin's right-wing cross was headed home by Edson Buddle, only for the 'Quakes to once again make a quick reply.
This time Wondolowski wasn't denied as Chavez drove a corner kick to the near post where the striker redirected the ball past goalkeeper Josh Saunders with his head.
San Jose clinched the Supporters' Shield on Saturday when Sporting Kansas City was held to a draw in New York, while the Galaxy remains in fourth place in the Western Conference with the result.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
SAN JOSE: 2
Oct 21 9:00 PM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 26 (Chavez), 73rd minute
Galaxy 2, Earthquakes 2 2nd - 75'Oct 21 8:44 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Buddle 3 (Franklin), 69th minute
Galaxy 2, Earthquakes 1 2nd - 70'Oct 21 8:42 PM
- San Jose Goal - Chavez 3 (unassisted), 61st minute
Galaxy 1, Earthquakes 1 2nd - 62'Oct 21 8:28 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Keane 16 (unassisted), 59th minute
Galaxy 1, Earthquakes 0 2nd - 60'Oct 21 8:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 21 7:07 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5