Sporting downs Union to clinch East's top spotOct 25, 2012 - 2:34 AM Kansas City, KS (Sports Network) - Sporting Kansas City clinched the top spot in the Eastern Conference on Wednesday with a 2-1 victory over the Philadelphia Union at Livestrong Sporting Park courtesy of C.J. Sapong's 82nd- minute goal.
A tally from Antoine Hoppenot in the 53rd minute for the Union canceled out a first-half goal from Sporting's Jacob Peterson as the two sides entered the final 10 minutes of the contest on level terms.
A draw would have been enough for the home side to clinch the East, but Sapong capped Sporting's regular season in style after a nice set up from Kei Kamara, who also assisted on the first goal scored by Peterson.
Sporting will enter the postseason on a 12-match unbeaten run after clinching the East's top spot for the second straight season, while the Union closes out its campaign at Red Bull New York on Saturday.
The opening goal came in the 40th minute as Kamara hit Peterson in stride with a nice ball from the left wing, allowing him to beat goalkeeper Zac MacMath with a first-time shot.
But Philadelphia got back to level terms early in the second half when Michael Farfan's penalty kick was saved by goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen, only for Hoppenot to score on the rebound.
The Union then hit the post twice in a three-minute span as a header from Jack McInerney struck the woodwork before Keon Daniel saw a shot from outside the area also hit the frame of the net.
Kansas City slowed the Union attack and was then able to grab the winning goal after a pass from Kamara split the Philadelphia defense open, allowing Sapong to slot his shot past MacMath.
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 2
Oct 24 10:30 PM
- Kansas City Goal - Sapong 9 (Kamara), 82nd minute
Union 1, Sporting Kansas City 2 2nd - 83'Oct 24 10:19 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Hoppenot 4 (unassisted), 53rd minute
Union 1, Sporting Kansas City 1 2nd - 54'Oct 24 9:50 PM
- Kansas City Goal - Peterson 4 (Kamara, Sapong), 40th minute
Union 0, Sporting Kansas City 1 1st - 42'Oct 24 9:21 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 24 8:38 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- NYC snaps winless skid as Mullins leaves it late Jun 6