Cooper's brace leads New York past PhiladelphiaOct 27, 2012 - 10:23 PM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - Red Bull New York closed out its regular season campaign on Saturday with a 3-0 win over the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park as Kenny Cooper netted a pair of goals.
Cooper scored the opener from the penalty spot after 13 minutes, while Thierry Henry doubled the advantage 10 minutes before halftime and Cooper wrapped up the win in the second half with his 18th goal of the season.
The result means New York finishes third in the Eastern Conference and will face D.C. United in the conference semifinals.
Philadelphia closes out its campaign with three successive defeats.
"There were a lot of ups and downs," said Union goalkeeper Zac MacMath. "Coaching changes and a lot of player changes.
"It was tough going stretches of 6-7 games without a win. I hate losing. (Eighteen) losses is unacceptable by my standard and the team's standard."
Tim Cahill won the penalty kick in the 13th minute when he was tripped inside the area by Philadelphia's Carlos Valdes, allowing Cooper to step to the spot and beat goalkeeper Zac MacMath.
Henry netted his 15th goal of the season in the 35th minute after sloppy defending allowed him to beat his man inside the box and chip the ball over the goalkeeper.
The Union came out stronger after halftime and nearly pulled to within a goal as a header from Valdes struck the crossbar, but New York put the result away 10 minutes later.
Cooper was released into the area after a nice one-two with Dax McCarty and he rolled his shot inside the far post.
"Hopefully, we have momentum," Cooper said. "(We have) a full week to prepare for the start of the playoffs."
- NEW YORK: 3
Oct 27 3:43 PM
- New York Goal - Cooper 18 (McCarty), 66th minute
Red Bulls 3, Union 0 2nd - 67'Oct 27 3:19 PM
- New York Goal - Henry 15 (McCarty), 35th minute
Red Bulls 2, Union 0 1st - 37'Oct 27 2:31 PM
- New York Goal - Cooper 17 (PK), 13th minute
Red Bulls 1, Union 0 1st - 13'Oct 27 2:06 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 27 1:51 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19