Soares leaves it late for the Revs in MontrealOct 27, 2012 - 8:27 PM Montreal, QC (Sports Network) - The New England Revolution closed out a disappointing season on a high note on Saturday as a goal from A.J. Soares in the 88th minute made the difference in a 1-0 win over the Montreal Impact at Saputo Stadium.
Montreal created the better chances in the match but was unable to find a way past goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth, and the Revs made the most of a set piece opportunity in the final minutes to close out their campaign with back-to-back wins.
The Impact, meanwhile, ends its season without a win in the final six games.
A good performance from Shuttleworth kept the match scoreless into the final few minutes, and a free kick from Chris Tierney was swung into the middle of the penalty area for Soares, who got his head on the ball and redirected it beyond the reach of goalkeeper Troy Perkins.
The final chance for the home side to take something from the match came in stoppage time when Marco Di Vaio had a shot from near the penalty spot stopped by Shuttleworth, preserving the win and his clean sheet.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
Oct 27 4:02 PM
- New England Goal - Soares 2 (Tierney), 88th minute
Revolution 1, Impact 0 2nd - 88'Oct 27 4:00 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Oct 27 2:08 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Montreal ends Orlando's unbeaten run Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Confident Orlando tangles with Montreal Jun 19