Wondo ties scoring record as 'Quakes draw TimbersOct 28, 2012 - 12:58 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Chris Wondolowski converted a penalty kick in the 24th minute Saturday to tie Major League Soccer's single-season scoring record, but he was unable to produce another goal as the San Jose Earthquakes were held to a 1-1 draw by the Portland Timbers at Jeld-Wen Field.
Wondolowski's strike, his 27th of the season, sees him go level with Roy Lassiter of the 1996 Tampa Bay Mutiny for most goals in a season, putting the finishing touches on a banner regular season that saw the 29-year-old lead the 'Quakes to the MLS Supporters' Shield with 66 points on the campaign.
The opener came midway through the opening period when Steven Lenhart went around Donovan Ricketts, but the Timbers 'keeper quickly tracked back and put in a sliding challenge that brought down the 'Quakes striker in the box. There was no question as to who would take the ensuing penalty kick as Wondolowski hammered home the shot to Ricketts' right.
San Jose held the lead until the 67th minute when Jon Busch conceded a rebound off of a shot from close range. Bright Dike was arriving to stuff home the loose ball for his fifth goal of the season.
Portland's season comes to an end as the Timbers finish their sophomore term in MLS with 34 points in 34 games.
San Jose advances to the postseason as the top overall seed and will take on the winner of Thursday's play-in game between the fourth-place Los Angeles Galaxy and the fifth-place Vancouver Whitecaps.
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5