Houston advances despite loss at SKCNov 8, 2012 - 4:16 AM Kansas City, KS (Sports Network) - The Houston Dynamo fell to Sporting Kansas City 1-0 at Livestrong Sporting Park on Wednesday but still managed to advance to the Eastern Conference final after winning the opening leg.
Houston emerged from Sunday's opening leg as 2-0 winners, and the club held off Sporting for the first 45 minutes of the return match.
The home side dictated play in the second half of Wednesday's affair as it pushed for an equalizer, and Seth Sinovic made a game of it when he scored in the 64th minute.
Graham Zusi received a pass from Kei Kamara on the right side of the box and chipped a brilliant ball to the back post. Sinovic was arriving to power a diving header past Tally Hall for his first goal of the campaign.
Sporting continued to dominate the possession battle and created a couple of scoring chances in the remaining 26 minutes, but Houston's resolute defense stood tall and denied the top seed an aggregate equalizer.
Houston's Eastern Conference final opponent is unknown after Red Bull New York's tilt with D.C. United was postponed and rescheduled for Thursday night because of a steady accumulation of snow.
With the Dynamo finishing the regular season in fifth place, they will host the opening leg of the Eastern Conference final, scheduled for Sunday at 4 p.m. ET.
- HOUSTON: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
Nov 7 11:01 PM
- Sporting Kansas City Goal - Sinovic 1 (Zusi, Kamara), 64th minute
Dynamo 0, Sporting Kansas City 1 2nd - 65'Nov 7 10:32 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Nov 7 9:09 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Streaking Sporting set to square off with Sounders Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30