Montreal stuns Seattle as Arnaud leads the wayMar 3, 2013 - 5:47 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Davy Arnaud's first-half tally was enough to lift the Montreal Impact to a 1-0 win over the Seattle Sounders on Saturday at CenturyLink Field.
The only goal of the game came in the 35th minute and was a moment of pure class on Montreal's part as Felipe Martins worked his way into the attacking third and lofted a cheeky through ball for Arnaud, who deftly chipped it over the head of Seattle goalkeeper Michael Gspurning to give the visitors the 1-0 advantage.
In the second half, it was the traveling side that had another outstanding chance as Sanna Nyassi drifted down the right wing and sent a cross into the box for Arnaud, who got a foot to it. But Gspurning managed to push it off the crossbar and keep the Impact from extending their lead.
Just moments later, Seattle had an excellent chance to find the equalizer when Eddie Johnson made his way toward goal and laid it off to an overlapping Brad Evans, who ripped a wicked right-footed shot, but it smacked off the right post and stayed out.
The Sounders had another fantastic chance to tie things with 10 minutes to play as Leonardo Gonzalez sent a great cross into the box which fell to the feet of Johnson, but he could do nothing but smash it off the crossbar.
The home side had several chances down the stretch as the fourth official's board showed six minutes of extra time, but they were unable to find the equalizer as Montreal held on for an impressive first win under new head coach Marco Schallibaum.
- MONTREAL: 1
Mar 3 12:34 AM
- MONTREAL: 1
Mar 2 11:26 PM
- Montreal Goal - Arnaud 1 (Martins), 35th minute
Impact 1, Sounders FC 0 1st - 40'Mar 2 11:20 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 2 10:40 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Montreal ends Orlando's unbeaten run Jun 20
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Confident Orlando tangles with Montreal Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19