Magee scores three as Galaxy roll past FireMar 4, 2013 - 12:11 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - Mike Magee netted a hat trick as the Los Angeles Galaxy rolled to a comfortable season-opening 4-0 victory over the Chicago Fire on Sunday at the Home Depot Center.
The two-time defending champions entered the match without David Beckham, who left the club after last season, and Landon Donovan, who will miss the first couple months of the season while on a personal leave of absence.
Despite missing their two biggest stars, the Galaxy didn't miss a beat behind a trio from Magee and another tally from Irish international Robbie Keane.
Early on, however, it was Chicago that had the first great chance of the game in the 23rd minute when Joel Lindpere worked his way down the left wing and fired a cross into the box for Maicon Santos, who got a clean header away, but it was just off target.
A bit later, the Fire had another great chance when Los Angeles goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini sent an errant pass that was easily intercepted by Chicago forward Chris Rolfe, who fired a quick left-footed shot that just rolled past the far post.
The Galaxy finally found the first of many goals on the afternoon in the 38th minute when Todd Dunivant sent a cross into the box and Magee powered it past Chicago goalkeeper Sean Johnson with a fantastic left-footed volley.
After the break, Chicago had a few decent chances, but Magee bagged his second of the day in the 68th minute after getting a nice feed from Keane in the box and ripping a left-footed strike into the top left corner, leaving Johnson with no chance for a save.
Magee completed his hat trick six minutes later when he pounced on a loose ball in the Chicago penalty area and pounded it home.
Keane put a bow on a fantastic afternoon for Los Angeles with 10 minutes to play after he collected a headed pass from Omar Gonzalez and easily deposited it into the net to wrap up the result.
- CHICAGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 4
Mar 3 7:01 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Keane 1 (Gonzalez, Stephens), 80th minute
Fire 0, Galaxy 4 2nd - 82'Mar 3 6:49 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Magee 3 (unassisted), 74th minute
Fire 0, Galaxy 3 2nd - 75'Mar 3 6:46 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Magee 2 (Keane), 68th minute
Fire 0, Galaxy 2 2nd - 69'Mar 3 6:36 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 1
Mar 3 5:55 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Magee 1 (unassisted), 38th minute
Fire 0, Galaxy 1 1st - 41'Mar 3 5:50 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 3 5:09 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12