Revs open new season with Fire defeatMar 10, 2013 - 3:55 AM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - The New England Revolution kicked off the 2013 MLS season in winning fashion, collecting three points in a 1-0 defeat of the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park on Saturday.
The Revs managed just two road wins all of last season, conceding 29 goals in their 17 matches away from Gillette Stadium.
But a clean sheet from Matt Reis and a goal from Jerry Bengston got New England's road form off to a good start in the new season.
New England got off the mark when Chicago failed to clear its lines from a corner kick in the 62nd minute. A poor clearance was pumped back into the box by Kelyn Rowe and Bengston latched on to the delivery to guide his header past Sean Johnson from close range.
The Revs staved off some late pressure from the Fire to preserve the shutout and secure their first win at Toyota Park since 2007.
Chicago heads into its third match of the season searching for its first goal and its first point. The Fire have conceded a total of five goals through two games following their 4-0 loss to the Los Angeles Galaxy last weekend, leaving head coach Frank Klopas with plenty to sort out before the club returns to action for a meeting with Sporting Kansas City on March 16.
New England will remain on the road, heading to PPL Park to take on the Philadelphia Union next Saturday.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
Mar 9 10:47 PM
- New England Goal - Bengston 1 (Rowe), 62nd minute
Revolution 1, Fire 0 2nd - 65'Mar 9 10:16 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
Mar 9 8:40 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 9 7:53 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6