Montreal holds off TFC to remain unblemishedMar 16, 2013 - 10:32 PM Montreal, QC (Sports Network) - The Montreal Impact continued its perfect start to the season on Saturday with a 2-1 win over Toronto FC at Olympic Stadium.
First-half goals from Patrice Bernier and Marco Di Vaio put the home side in control, and although Toronto pulled a goal back in the 68th minute through Robert Earnshaw, it wasn't enough to spoil Montreal's first home match of the season.
Montreal's Jeb Brovsky made an important block near his goal line in the 29th minute to prevent TFC from opening the scoring, and the hosts went down the other end and took the lead a few minutes later.
Toronto's Ashtone Morgan was called for tripping Andres Romero inside the penalty area, and Bernier stepped up and sent goalkeeper Joe Bendik the wrong way from the spot.
The lead was doubled just before halftime with a nice move in midfield that saw Bernier play the ball forward to Davy Arnaud, who slid a clever pass into the area for Di Vaio. The striker finished off the play by rounding the goalkeeper and driving the ball inside the far post.
After a poor start in the first half, Toronto was much better after the break and Hogan Ephraim hit the crossbar with a volley from inside the box.
Terry Dunfield helped TFC get back in the game when he drew a foul on Dennis Iapichino inside the area, and Earnshaw made no mistake from the spot, drilling the ball inside the left post for his third goal of the campaign.
However, Montreal tightened things up in defense and nearly added a third goal in the 88th minute when Felipe Martins blazed a shot over the net from six yards.
- TORONTO FC: 1
Mar 16 6:02 PM
- Toronto Goal - Earnshaw 3 (PK), 68th minute
Toronto FC 1, Impact 2 2nd - 70'Mar 16 5:37 PM
- TORONTO FC: 0
Mar 16 4:59 PM
- Montreal Goal - Di Vaio 1 (Arnaud, Bernier), 45th minute
Toronto FC 0, Impact 2 1st - 44'Mar 16 4:59 PM
- Montreal Goal - Bernier 1 (PK), 34th minute
Toronto FC 0, Impact 1 1st - 35'Mar 16 4:43 PM
- TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 16 4:09 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Montreal ends Orlando's unbeaten run Jun 20
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- Confident Orlando tangles with Montreal Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- NYCFC tops Impact at Yankee Stadium Jun 13
- NYCFC set to host Impact Jun 12