United's home unbeaten streak ends courtesy of CrewMar 23, 2013 - 10:01 PM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - Ben Speas scored his first MLS goal on Saturday at RFK Stadium to lift the Columbus Crew to a 2-1 win over D.C. United.
Josh Williams netted a goal 15 minutes into the match to put the Crew on top, while United equalized seven minutes later through a long-range effort from Rafael.
But Speas picked a good time to find the net in the 58th minute, and Columbus goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum made the lead hold up, bringing an end to United's 19-game home unbeaten streak.
Tyson Wahl's free kick from the right wing set up the first goal as Williams turned a header inside the right post in traffic.
However, United equalized seven minutes later as Gruenebaum's clearance was quickly pushed back to the feet of Rafael, who caught the goalkeeper out of position and was able to score from 35 yards.
D.C. goalkeeper Bill Hamid kept his side level with some good goalkeeping on both sides of halftime, first denying Federico Higuain before making a great double save on Chad Marshall and Wahl.
Yet Hamid couldn't prevent Speas from putting Columbus into the lead when a clearance got only as far as the Crew midfielder at the top of the box, allowing him to hammer a first-time shot through a crowd that Hamid was unable to keep out.
It was then Gruenebaum's turn to come to the rescue for the Crew as he did well to tip a header from Dwayne De Rosario past the post in the 66th minute.
The best chance the home side had at leveling the contest came 18 minutes from time when Lionard Pajoy's header struck the post, while De Rosario was denied by a wonderful sprawling save from Gruenebaum on a rebound chance.
- COLUMBUS: 2
D.C. UNITED: 1
Mar 23 5:46 PM
- Columbus Goal - Speas 1 (unassisted), 58th minute
Crew SC 2, D.C. United 1 2nd - 60'Mar 23 5:13 PM
- COLUMBUS: 1
D.C. UNITED: 1
Mar 23 4:42 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Rafael 1 (Pontius), 22nd minute
Crew SC 1, D.C. United 1 1st - 25'Mar 23 4:19 PM
- Columbus Goal - Williams 1 (Wahl), 15th minute
Crew SC 1, D.C. United 0 1st - 17'Mar 23 4:11 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 23 3:53 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12