Timbers rally for draw with Rapids at DSG ParkMar 31, 2013 - 12:28 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Will Johnson netted a second-half double on Saturday as the Portland Timbers rallied from two goals down to salvage a 2-2 draw against the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Colorado struck first 18 minutes into the match as Dillon Powers intercepted a poor clearance by Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts and blasted an absolute rocket into the top right corner of the net, leaving Ricketts with no chance for a save.
The Rapids took their one-goal lead into the intermission and added a second goal just minutes into the second period.
Just three minutes into the second half Hendry Thomas ran onto a ball in the Portland penalty area and was clipped from behind by Diego Chara, leading to a penalty kick, which Thomas calmly buried to put the hosts up by a pair.
But Portland has shown the ability to recover from deficits this season and did it again on Saturday as the visitors got one back in the 55th minute when Ryan Johnson lofted a cross into the area and a completely unmarked Will Johnson to nod past Rapids netminder Clint Irwin.
The Timbers completed the comeback with 19 minutes to play when referee Drew Fischer gave a penalty following some grappling in the Colorado penalty area and Johnson stepped up and converted it nicely into the top right corner to put the sides on level terms.
The result leaves Portland still winless on the campaign with three points, but the Timbers should have some confidence as they head into next week's home tilt against Houston.
Colorado also has yet to win this season with two points from five matches and will take on Rocky Mountain Cup rivals Real Salt Lake next Saturday.
- PORTLAND: 2
Mar 30 8:08 PM
- Portland Goal - Johnson 2 (PK), 71st minute
Timbers 2, Rapids 2 2nd - 72'Mar 30 7:46 PM
- Portland Goal - Johnson 1 (Johnson), 55th minute
Timbers 1, Rapids 2 2nd - 60'Mar 30 7:31 PM
- Colorado Goal - Thomas 1 (unassisted), 48th minute
Timbers 0, Rapids 2 2nd - 50'Mar 30 7:22 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
Mar 30 6:59 PM
- Colorado Goal - Powers 1 (Klute), 18th minute
Timbers 0, Rapids 1 1st - 25'Mar 30 6:43 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 30 6:17 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19