Oduro saves Crew in draw with UnionApr 6, 2013 - 11:26 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Dominic Oduro's brilliant strike inside the final 20 minutes saved a point for Columbus in a hard-fought 1-1 draw with the Philadelphia Union on Saturday at Crew Stadium.
Philadelphia had the better of the play through the majority of the first half and found its breakthrough 11 minutes before the intermission.
Amobi Okugo got the Union counter attack rolling by putting Danny Cruz through the Columbus backline with a precise, cutting ball which set up a 3-on-1 and Cruz slid it over to Jack McInerney for an easy tap-in and his third goal of the season.
After the interval, both teams had several opportunities and Columbus finally capitalized on one of its chances in the 72nd minute when Eddie Gaven threaded a pass through for Oduro, who ripped it high to the near post and over Philadelphia goalkeeper Zac MacMath to even things at 1-1.
In the final minutes, it was up-and-down with chances at both ends of the pitch. Philadelphia had the best chance in stoppage time after substitute Antoine Hoppenot was brought down on the edge of the box and awarded a free kick.
Keon Daniel stepped up and elected for the shot, hitting it low and hard on goal, but Columbus goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum got down to make the save.
The result gives Philadelphia its first-ever point at Crew Stadium to rise to seven points from five matches, while Columbus ran its unbeaten streak in MLS play to three straight and has eight points from five matches.
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
Apr 6 6:57 PM
- Columbus Goal - Oduro 2 (Gaven), 72nd minute
Union 1, Crew SC 1 2nd - 72'Apr 6 6:38 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
Apr 6 5:55 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - McInerney 3 (Cruz, Okugo), 34th minute
Union 1, Crew SC 0 1st - 35'Apr 6 5:44 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 6 5:06 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12